With so many varieties, how do you choose?
Choose a koi that catches your eye, a koi that makes you happy. Don’t get caught up in needing the ‘perfect pattern’ or the ‘perfect named-variety'. Even the most superb Koi surely has some minor flaws. Sometimes when focusing on the flaws, we will fail to size up the real value of the Koi. Accordingly, the most important thing in judging a Koi is to place great importance on "the first impressions" gained by you the moment the Koi meets your eyes. It is also beneficial to compare many koi before making your final decision. Use our nifty compare button in the koi listings to view Koi that you like side by side.
Click on a Koi image to learn more.
Here are some tips for selecting koi:
- Watch the koi swim. Does it glide through the water with ease?
- Any body defects, scars or raised scales?
- Any bumps or lesions on or under the skin?
- Are all of the Koi's fins intact? Any damage to fins?
- Watch its breathing. Should be slow and regular, no puffing.
- Choose a reputable dealer and stick with them!
- Is your dealer knowledgeable about koi?
- Does your dealer have an adequate facility to hold and quarantine koi?
- Does your dealer handle koi correctly?
Send your questions to Ellen in the form below.